Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's In Your Fridge?

I believe that every person is doing the best that they can given the knowledge that they posses combined with their level of desire.  If one knows that they eating XY and Z is better for them, but still chooses to eat AB and C, then it would be a good indication that desire is lacking to make healthy choices and the desire for instant gratification is stronger.  Been there, done that so I know the feeling.  There may possibly come a day where your desire to be healthy and care for your body and see the long-term benefits of these choices outweighs your desire for the here and now.  Until that time comes, let me help you gain some knowledge and add helpful food tips to your repertoire.

I typically choose 2 days a week to purchase my produce.  Costco and Fred Meyers are my usually visits.  Some days I can get them both in 1 day, or visit other stores where I know certain items are less money.  I make out a list throughout my week so I can get in and out as soon as possible (a much needed thing with a toddler in tote). 
Things I pick up on a regular basis (my staples):

Costco:
Protein:
Organic Chicken (whole and breasts)
Organic ground Turkey
Adele's Natural (nitrite free) Apple Chicken Sausages
Frozen Shrimp
Canned Alaskan Salmon

Fruit:
Bananas
Organic whatever they have on hand (berries, apples, etc)
Frozen Organic Berries (I make healthy sorbet with this or any other frozen fruit)

Veggies:
Organic Spinach
Organic Carrots
Avocados
Organic Canned Diced Tomatoes
Organic Canned Tomato Sauce and Paste

Snacks:
Organic fruit rope (cliff brand)
Lara Bars
Walnuts
Almonds (I soak, slow roast and use for snacks or making almond meal and butter)

Misc:
Vanilla Extract


Fred Meyers:
Protein-
Organic Free Range Chicken thighs
Organic Free Range Eggs (less $ than Costco)

Fruit:
Organic Apples
Organic Tomatoes
Organic Plums
Cherries (in season- Conventionally grown)

Veggies:
Organic Cilantro
Organic Cabbage (green and red)
Organic Green Onion
Organic White Onion
Organic Beets (use the leafy tops in salad or smoothie)
Organic Celery
Organic Romaine
Jalapenos
Mushrooms
Organic Broccoli
Organic Cauliflower
Organic Zucchini

Snacks:
Go Raw Snack items

Beverage:
So Delicious Coconut Milk Unsweetened (add liquid stevia and extract to taste)
Unsweetened Almond Milk


Other stores and what I specifically pick up

Central Market:
Zevia pop (when on sale for $2.99 a 6 pack)
Frozen Raw Tuna Steaks
Organic Coconut flakes and shreds in the bulk section
Organic dried fruit (raisins, apples and/or apricots- no added ingredients)

PCC:
Any Fruit or Veggies I need that I couldn't find at FM or Costco

Farmers Markets:
Raw Honey
Any Organic Veggies that are available
Flavored Vinegars for dressing (ones with no sugar added).

Swanson Farms:
I purchase Organic Grass Fed Beef in bulk every 6 months or so and store in my deep freezer.


Now What? 
So now that you have a little bit of a grocery list.  Keep in mind that when items are in season they are less $, so stock up, clean, prep and freeze. 

As soon as I get home from my shopping trips, the work begins.  I fill my sink up with water and add about 1-2 Cups of distilled Vinegar to work as a natural produce cleaner. Toss everything in and wait.  After about 10 minutes, I rinse and set out to dry on some towels. 


Next, the oven goes on to 375 degrees, at which I put 1 dozen eggs on the preheated rack and cook for 18-19 min. Take them out, put in a bowl and it directly goes into the fridge to cool (makes peeling easier).  Instant protein at my finger tips.  I eat plain with sea salt, add mustard or chop up some in a salad. 

Thirdly, the BPA Free Tupperware comes out and I start chopping.  Pre-making salads, bagging veggies and fruits, cutting up anything I can and putting it into a container for easy grab and go access. Salsa and Veggie Sauces are fun and easy to make.  Roast in oven, blend smooth or leave chunky.  Makes for great omelet toppers, side dish, dressings, you name it.  It is good on almost anything edible.

 Rule of thumb to reduce waste: First in, First out.  Meaning... eat things first that are going to go bad first.  Any produce that is on the verge of not being appetizing goes into my trusty Vitamix and becomes a wonderful cornucopia smoothie.  If I am going to spend the extra money on my organic products, I am less desiring to waste any of it.  Things that I use to toss like those stalks that come on broccoli, now get thrown in my blender or food processor for use in a drink or coarse chopped salad.  Waste Not!

You can start your own garden with a few products from your purchase.  I cut the base of my celery and lettuce (my new discovery) and leave sitting in a container of water.  They will continue to grow.  After the leaves have become large enough, go plant your newest container garden addition.



I will also go through my fridge to see what leftovers I have that need to be consumed and turn them into something else.  Being creative, no cookbook, just experimenting.  Try it some time, it is kind of fun.  Turn your brown bananas into healthy cookies, chop up your left over meat and make a veggie casserole.. whatever you can imagine, just give it a try.

When cooking a meal, purpose to make extra.  Put in individual containers for later eating or freeze.  Bake or grill extra protein to use in salads or sandwhiches (if you eat grains).

I know that all this seems like a lot of work, but I am so thankful in the week when all I have to do is go to my fridge and do minimal prepping before I eat.  Not to mention the beautiful rainbow of colors I see when I open the doors in my little OCD organized fridge.




 Things I make or have on hand for my family even though I chose not to eat them.
Pre-made yogurt parfat
String cheese
Zbars and Builder Bars (20g protein) both made with Organic ingredients


1 comment:

  1. Wow that is awesome!! Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could re-grow your lettuce. But then again I just get iceburg lettuce and usually just toss the bottom out. I am going to have to try some of these things.

    ReplyDelete