Friday, July 13, 2012

Say No to GMO!!!

You may have heard the word GMO but are unsure as to what it is exactly.  GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism.  In a nut shell, scientists have taken naturally occurring plants and genetically implanted DNA of other species to create a "super seed".  Well, that would be all good, if what they were doing was cross pollinating like species.  Kind of like crossing a Labrador with a poodle to get a labradoodle.  But no, this is far from what they are actually doing.  Instead, scientists are using organisms like pigs, fish, viruses, insects, etc to alter the DNA of a plant to make it pest and weed control resistant.  That way the farmers can spread all the Round Up they want on their crops and still keep their crops.  Only there is a problem with this.  Consuming DNA altered food in a body that is not designed to process it not only causes a myriad of health issues, it also causes alterations in our very own DNA and effects the generations thereafter.  It is no surprise to me that our world is seeing such a dramatic increase in cancers, lupus, skin disorders, and autoimmune diseases.  What does one expect when you take the creation of God in the form of seed bearing plants and tamper with it.  Man can not out perform God's handy work.


Did you know that most of the food you purchase at the regular food marts are from GMO crops?

It is a bit scary to think I have been eating and drinking what I thought was one thing for so many years, to discover it was something completely different. 

So what can you do about this?  Monsanto (the big wig company that controls most of our nations food supply) is trying to virtually take over what you are able to consume.  In a few decades, conventional and organic farmers maybe out of business.  Now I don't suspect you are going to set up protests at your local food marts, but you can make your desires speak by where you put your dollar.  When purchasing your produce, Farmers Markets are available in the summer.  You can go on line to see where they are in your area.  Most, but not all are conventionally (non- GMO, but uses pesticides) or organic (non- GMO and no pesticide).  When at your local store, look for the PLU# placed on the sticker of the individual items.  If there is a 4 digit number starting in the 3000 or 4000 you are looking at conventionally grown produce.  5 digit number starting in the 80000 is GMO product.  5 digit number in the 90000 is organically produced product.  As a quick reminder to myself, my motto is "I eat 9".  If organic is not available I choose conventional produce (3000,4000).

When shopping the aisles I look for USDA certified Organic.  If the product states Natural, it still could be a GMO product.  Almost all cereals available are made from GMO crops.  Not to mention all your snack items.  Corn, Soy, Wheat... you name it, you are more than likely consuming GMO.

Even your non organic milks (cow or soy) are produced with tampered cows and soy beans.  USDA certified Organic is the only way you can attempt to avoid this... or raise your own chickens, cows, produce, etc. 

People may get a chuckle out of the way I choose to eat and care for my body.  That is alright with me.  I may not be able to completely rid my body of the toxins in this world, but I can not consciously consume something I do not have the faith to do.  My body is precious to me, and I only get one chance to take care of it.  Last I remember, there are no spare parts store for humans.  I am not afraid to die, but I desire to live life the best way I naturally can.  Living Long and Strong, making changes along the way as I renew my mind.

This is a link to a video from a man well researched in GMO.  It is only 6 minutes long and well worth your time.  I also recommend the documentary Deconstructing Supper.  If you have Netflix, it is in your instant play area.





No comments:

Post a Comment